11 Things To Do Around Gaston County This Spring
Hold on to your hats (or Easter bonnets) because spring is blowing through! There is so much happening in the county. Here are some important dates and activities that you will want to put in your calendars.
1. Palm Sunday is April 10 [PAST EVENT], followed by Good Friday on April 15 and finally, Easter, the most holy time for Christians, on Sunday, April 17 ; The Jewish faith celebrates Passover, this year from April 15 through the 23, and reminds the Hebrew faithful of the Exodus, when Israelites fled to freedom from their enslavement in Egypt. This is also spring when we all celebrate the rebirth of the earth, blooming flowers, the brown, winter colored earth turning bright green, baby bunnies and sweet songbirds returning to our yards.
2. Our Gastonia Honey Hunters have their opening series starting on Thursday, April 21, first pitch is at 6:15 p.m. Another sure sign of spring is baseball. Batter up!
3. Farmers Markets both in Gastonia and Mount Holly are open and waiting for you! Spring greens, bedding plants and friends are mingling at the markets.
4. The Lavender Farm in Dallas will have its opening weekend April 16, check their website for more information. The Schiele Museum will have baby animals on the same day.
5. The Boathouse, the landing place for the Catawba Riverkeepers, is also shaking things up for folks to kayak and SUP on the river. Hosting classes and events, they are relatively new on the scene, and should be on your radar as a place to experience and get to know.
6. Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden is blooming! A beautiful place to walk, be inspired and breathe in nature.
7. April 23 at the Farmers Market in Gastonia will be our Earth Day celebration of Shred Day! Bring no more than three banker boxes of personal/sensitive materials to be shred. Free to homeowners: no businesses, please.
8. April 30, 2022 is the next county supported Household Hazardous Waste collection from 8 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. More details later (just mark this on the calendar).
9. Tuck Fest will be happening at the U.S. National Whitewater Center, our “across the river” neighbor with activities and events for the weekend April 29 - May 1.
10. George Poston Park will again host the USA Pump Track Championship and Bike Fest on May 22; check out the county’s website for more information.
11. And, hot off the presses, Beetopia will return in May! Saturday, May 21 also at the Farmers Market, plan on spending you morning learning and experiencing all that is pollination! There will be honey tasting, Master Gardeners (who know all things gardening), the famous Beezeebo, kids’ activities, Honey Hunter’s mascot, BAM, the RAM’s food truck and more!
It’s no coincidence that the bee celebration is held at the Farmers Market. Without pollinators, we would be struggling to find enough food to eat. Come out and thank our farmers and our pollinators!
This is just a sampling of things to come…we are truly fortunate to live in such a diverse and eclectic community. Check out www.gogastonnc.org for even more fun things to do, see and experience.
Nan Kirlin is recycling coordinator for Gaston County.